Puerto Rican musician Daddy Yankee has just become one of the most decorated Latin artists of all time, earning ten Guinness World Records recently.
If you’ve been anywhere near a speaker in the last two years, you would’ve undoubtedly heard Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee’s ‘Despacito‘ pumping out of it. One of the most popular tracks in modern history, it has earned its writers and performers quite a bit of popularity.
However, this success has also resulted in a number of world records being broken as well.
As Guinness World Records first reported back in July of 2017, Daddy Yankee managed to earn the honour of being the First Latin artist to reach the number one on Spotify’s Global Artist Chart for the success of ‘Despacito’.
Now, while Guinness World Records presented Daddy Yankee with the certificate for this previous achievement, they also bestowed upon him seven more honours based on the success of ‘Despacito’. Additionally, Daddy Yankee also took home two more titles for records related to the Billboard Latin Rhythm Airplay chart.
“Another item was taken off of my ‘bucket list’,” he said while receiving the awards.
“It is an honour to add these Guinness World Records titles to my list of accomplishments and acknowledgments – to be named the first Latino artist to reach number 1 on Spotify and to break record records in the Billboard charts for my career in the genre.”
“I’m honestly very grateful for the support of my fans.”
“It is a pleasure for Guinness World Records to recognise these records for Daddy Yankee,” explained Guinness World Records’ official adjudicator, Kimberly Partrick. “Both as a collaborator and a solo artist, his music has a global appeal that has enabled him to break these long-standing industry records.”
Check out Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee’s ‘Despacito’:
Check out all of Daddy Yankee’s Guinness World Records
- First Latin artist to reach No. 1 on Spotify’s Global Artist chart
- Most No. 1 singles on the Billboard Latin Rhythm Airplay chart – 17
- Most titles charted on the Billboard Latin Rhythm Airplay chart – 68
- Most viewed video online – 5,003,945,241 views as of 6 April 2018 (*for Despacito)
- Most viewed music video online – 5,003,945,241 views as of 6 April 2018 (*for Despacito)
- Most viewed music video on YouTube (duet) – 5,003,945,241 views as of 6 April 2018 (*forDespacito)
- Most weeks at No.1 in the USA (single) – 16 (*for Despacito)
- Most liked video online – 29,585,207 likes as of 31 August 2018 (*for Despacito)
- First YouTube video to receive 5 billion views – achieved on 4 April 2018 (*for Despacito)
- Most streamed track worldwide – 4,600,000,000 streams as of 19 July 2017 (*for Despacito)