MusicNSW has announced two great new Sound Advice panels on taking the next step in your music career. Featuring the best in the biz, these panels are for musicians and emerging industry professionals.
This month they’ll focus on getting your music seen and heard, from radio airplay on a community and national level, as well as how to build your fanbase through touring and marketing. All Sound Advice panels are free but places are limited so make sure you book yourself a seat through Moshtix.
MAY 2, 2017
6pm-8:30pm / 107 Projects, Redfern
6pm // Industry Essentials: You’ve written a song – now what? Everything you need to know.
7:15pm// Record and Release: All the advice and expert knowledge you’ll need to know about releasing a record from the legends at Inertia (presented with Inertia)
JULY 4, 2017
6pm // You Got Played: How to get your music on Australian Radio
7:15pm// Dial-a-Crowd: Touring, marketing, building a fan-base
AUGUST 15, 2017
6pm // Image Conscious: How to make your press kit look totes profesh
7:15pm// Business & Funding Fundamentals: How to manage your band as a business, funding, grants, and how to increase your chances of success
SEPTEMBER 26, 2017
6pm // Sound Mind: How to keep your shit together whilst also touring, being broke and dealing with difficult band mates
7:15pm// Deep Web: Make the most of online platforms incl. social media and streaming services
PLUS more to be announced for November and December.
UP NEXT: SOUND ADVICE PANELS, JULY 4
Following on from Sound Advice in May 2017 we have two great panels on taking the next step in your music career. Featuring the best in the biz, these panels are for musicians and emerging industry professionals. This month they’ll focus on getting your music seen and heard, from radio airplay on a community and national level, as well as how to build your fanbase through touring and marketing. All Sound Advice panels are free but places are limited so make sure you BOOK YOURSELF A SEAT THROUGH MOSHTIX.
The evening will be hosted by Mark Dodds [Handsome Touring].
- Mark Dodds is the Head Of Touring and Events for Handsome Tours, working with acts in Australia including The xx, Stormzy, The War On Drugs, Bon Iver, Little Simz, NAO, The National, SBTRKT, Snakehips, Future Islands and Sampha. He also books Fairgrounds Festival in Berry NSW and acts as booking agent for Perth artist KUČKA for boutique agency, Collective Artists.
6PM – YOU GOT PLAYED: HOW TO GET YOUR MUSIC ON AUSTRALIAN RADIO
Amelia Jenner [FBi Radio], Aniela Swiatek [Thinking Loud/October Records] and Gemma Pike [triple j]. Hosted by Mark Dodds.
- Amelia Jenner: Amelia is FBi Radio’s new Music Director and the third to be appointed since the station launched in 2003. Now in its fourteenth year, FBi Radio is an independent youth broadcaster dedicated to the music, arts & culture of Sydney. Playing 50% Australian music, with half of that from Sydney. As Music Director, Amelia is responsible for shaping the sound of FBi Radio through music programming, interviews and all music-focused content on air and online. Amelia has been involved with the station as a volunteer since 2012, presenting on air since 2014. She currently hosts The Playlist (Mondays on FBi 94.5fm) and Body Promise (Mondays on FBi Click). Through her dedication to these programs and her industry experience, Amelia has a strong track record for championing new sounds and fostering young talent. She brings industry connections and knowledge from previous positions as Marketing Manager at both Inertia Music and Ableton Liveschool.
- Aniela Swiatek: Aniela is the PR Manager at culture marketing agency, Thinking Loud, and PR and Artist Manager at October Records. She previously worked as the PR Manager at independent labels Sweat it Out Music and Central Station Records, and in 2014 launched an independent venture, October Records, with her colleague, Andrew Boon. With a focus on emerging talent, October Records has since grown into a larger entity encompassing artist management, bookings, PR & label services across the electronic music sphere. Highlights of Aniela’s career so far include working with BUOY, REMI, Winston Surfshirt, Sampa the Great, NLV Records, Touch Sensitive, Nicolas Jaar, Cosmo’s Midnight, Ta-ku, Red Bull Music Academy and Boiler Room.
- Gemma Pike: With a passion for radio broadcasting since her teens, Gemma began presenting on community radio station RTRfm 92.1 in Perth. She then went on to work as a voice over artist, and a presenter at Nova 93.7 before moving to the ABC in 2011. For the last five years Gemma has been working at triple j as a presenter, music programmer and producer of Sunday night’s weekly new releases show ‘2017’. You can hear Gemma talking all things music and culture on triple j from 10am – 2pm every Saturday and Sunday.
7:15PM – DIAL-A-CROWD: TOURING, MARKETING, BUILDING A FAN-BASE
Ali Barter [musician], Clara Iaccarino [Perth International Arts Festival / MAKEbeLIVE Productions], Dan Medland [IE:Music] and Stephen Wade [Select Music]. Hosted by Mark Dodds.
- Ali Barter: Following on from a national run of sold out album launches for her critically lauded debut A Suitable Girl, social commentator and femme rock champion Ali Barter has announced her return to the road. The “One Foot In” Tour sets out to be Ali’s biggest run of dates yet, kicking off at Darwin Festival on Friday August 11 and taking in all major capital cities as well as regional centres Castlemaine, Byron Bay, Newcastle and including an appearance at the jewel of the leisure coast - Yours and Owls Festival.
- Clara Iaccarino: Head programmer for PIAF’s contemporary music program / music manager looking after All Our Exes Live in Texas & Mama Kin. Prior to this Clara was a journalist and has worked in publicity and marketing.
- Dan Medland: Director at IE:Music – a London based music management company. Dan manages Passenger, Ladyhawke. Gin Wigmore and works with Jackladder and the Dreamlanders, Bondi Hipsters and the Bamboos.
- Stephen Wade: Stephen is CEO/Owner and booking agent at Select Music. He represents Australia’s best talent including RÜFÜS, Passenger, Boy & Bear, Josh Pyke, San Cisco, Emma Louise, Seth Sentry, Ladyhawke, Holy Holy, The Church and Client Liaison to name but a few. Select Music is the now the biggest independent agency in Australia representing acts like The Preatures, Ball Park Music, Peter Garrett, Tkay Maidza & Shock One across every musical genre. Sister company Select Touring has presented hundreds of tours inc Panic At The Disco, Ice Cube, The Dandy Warhols, Good Charlotte to Australia & NZ.
July 4, 6pm / 107 Projects, Redfern / FREE but booking required